Protective Style: Side Flat Twists

Hello all, I was on youtube last night watching a tutorial from one of my favorite vloggers. And she had a style that was adorable! I was like, I am doing that style right now. So I did :)

Hair tools:

  • Small comb for parting - if you want the parts to look neat
  • Clamps to section off  your hair 
Products:
  • Leave in conditioner - I used Giovanni direct leave in
  • Oil or butter to seal in the moisture - I used grape seed oil
  • A spray bottle with water
  • Gel to smooth the front - I used olive oil eco styler gel
Steps:
  • Spritzed my hair with water
  • Applied the leave in, paying specific attention to my ends
  • Sealed with oil, with attention to my ends and scalp (I did a little scalp massage- its been very cold and dry here!)
  • Parted my hair with the small comb 
  • Flat twisted to the side!
When I finished this style, I tied up my hair, and went to bed! Here are the results in the morning:







I plan to wear this style for 3-4 days with several modifications such as curling the twists, doing a french twist up the side, etc. As with a true protective style, my ends are tucked under and all of the hair is secure in large twists. Be sure not to pull too tightly on the hair when twisting. These twists are very loose. The gel in the front gives the illusion of a tight style, but it is not! No pulling, no stress on the tresses- we are good to go!


I figured out that part of the reason of the hair breakage I experienced a while back - read this post for more info - was because I was wearing mini twists all the time. Your hair is much more prone to breakage when it is in mini twists/braids vs large twists/braids. "United we stand, divided we fall". That sort of thing. Unfortunately I didn't know that back then.. SO! Now that I know this, you can expect to see protective styles more along these lines. 

FULL TUTORIAL

One main difference between her style and mine is that my hair was not as stretched. But I still like how it turned out! 


Is this a protective style that you would try? How would you modify it?


No comments :

Post a Comment