Hair Update: Shalonda Francois

Remember Shalonda from here and here? I am pleased that she is still transitioning without cutting and trimming. She is loving her natural journey! He enthusiasm is a blessing to me. She loves her glory and wants the world to know it! I asked her to update us on how her hair is doing. Enjoy! 

♥Kendra



Current Regimen: 
I wash my hair every other week.  I use Carol's Daughter shampoo, conditioner and leave in conditioner/detangler, shea butter, Jojoba hot oil treatment, Jojoba Oil, Olive Oil deep conditioning (which is now discontinued), Apple Cider and Olive Oil.  I also use Lock and Twist Gel.  I use all these products when I wash my hair, except the Lock and Twist Gel, which that is used only when I twist my hair.  The week I do not wash my hair I oil my scalp again with shea butter and jojoba oil.  I use shea butter daily and Jojoba Oil when it looks dry, on the other days.  I also used some Castor Oil to help my sides grow because I didn't really have hair on my sides.  When my hair is wet I comb it with my tangle teezer.  When my hair is dry I use my wide tooth comb.     





Hair Goals:
I plan on continuing with my natural hair journey like I have done this last past year.  I do not cut or trim my hair nor do I wear weave.  I plan to continue doing the same thing from this point on.  My perm hair is popping off on its own and that is what I plan on allowing it to continue to do. 





Journey: I remember I thought about going natural some time last year at the beginning of the year, but didn't know I could do it without cutting or trimming the ends off.  Then a dear friend called me toward the end of December 2011 and said that she saw Kendra's blog.  I knew it was a GOD thing!!  I then made the decision that same night to go natural.  My hair was breaking so much and being that I do not trim or cut my hair I wasn't sure what else to do, then God gave me my answer, Kendra's Blog!!!  I believe the hardest part was those first six months, because the new growth was coming out.  I knew it was time to be creative.  I then prayed over my hair and asked God to allow the perm hair to fall off from the back to the front, He honored my prayers.  GLORY!! 

That is exactly how it happened.  In the beginning I
 would set my hair on rods for the first few months. 


 When more new growth came out I then started doing a braid out, 
bantu knots out or the two strain twist out.  






I flat iron my hair once in May 2012 and did not
 like it at all, I wanted my big hair back, lol. 


Then as my hair continued to grow I started trying new styles because I don't like the same look all the time.  So I looked on you tube and on Kendra's blog for ideas.  

I made one year in December 2012 and more than half of my perm hair is off.  The only permed hair left is at the top of my head.  My hair grew a little over 5 inches in one year, that has NEVER happened before.  Some of the same people who laughed at me in the beginning is now giving me compliments, I get a lot of compliments and the real fun part hasn't even started yet lol.  It is more time consuming but it is so worth it.  My scalp is healthier and so is my hair.  

Hair Testimony:
Let me testify for a minute.  The same night I decided to go natural I was talking to God about it and I felt Him tell me, the reason why a lot of African Americans struggle with trimming/cutting their hair is because they are damaging their own hair so much with all those chemicals that they feel they have to cut it to look good, instead of accepting the hair I (God) gave them.  I began to cry in His presence and then promised Him I would NEVER perm my hair again.  From that point on I had a made up mind, you see when God gives you something nobody can discourage you unless you allow them too.  From that very moment I made up my mind to accept the hair that HE gave me and not try to tell Him it is not good enough and try to fix it.  So I love being a natural Pentecostal!!!  Natural hair is being seen more now and it is becoming very popular, but that is not the reason why I decided to go natural.  I decided because God said to, TWICE!!  He always confirms what He says.  I feel I have been an influence on a few people with their hair and God used me a few times in reference to it with a couple of people I know of.  To God be the Glory!!  I don't only wear my natural hair proudly but I own it when I wear it!!  I love it and I let it be shown that I love it!!  

Words of Encouragement:  Ladies God doesn't make mistakes, He is a PERFECT GOD!!!  He created us to glorify Him not ourselves.  Some people wear weave but I don't because I feel that weave takes away from my glory (which is my hair).  The Word says a woman's hair is her glory.  Be encouraged with the decision you make to go natural because your hair is your glory and that is what God gave you.  There will be discourging days but that comes with just living life day to day, so its no different.  Nothing good comes easy and without a struggle, just like living for God, but it is so worth it.  God honors anything we do that will bring glory to Him.  If people say negative things tell them like I use to, if you don't like it then don't look at it.  LOL!!  Don't let people dictate to you what you should do with your hair, have a made up mind.  The Bible says in James 1:8 "A double minded man is unstable in all his ways."  Make up your mind, if you said you will do it, then do it.  Do not let people's opinions dictate to you what you should or shouldn't do with "your" hair.  Everything we do should glorify Him!!  1st Corinthians 11:15 says "But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering."  Don't let the world tell you what long is, long is the length God gave you, accept the beautiful hair God gave you and the length He gave you.  Don't take away from the beautiful woman God created you to be, He made no mistakes when He created you.  Like the song sings: "There could never be a more beautiful you."  Keep your head up ladies, the more confident you are with your hair the more glory will be given to God.  Keep pressing forward and don't look back, let the pass be the pass and see the bigger picture, just look at Kendra's beautiful pictures.  Her hair is so beautiful and healthy.  Our jealous God who wants ALL the glory gave us something that could bring us glory, which is our hair, how can we dare take that lightly, its a privilege!!  So if for no other reason, do it for the love you have for JESUS CHRIST!!  Pressing on for 2013 to encourage more ladies to go natural!!  I LOVE MY NATURAL BEAUTY!!!  




No comments :

Post a Comment