On the Couch with Naturals: Shalonda Francois

Hello ladies! I asked Shalonda to share her transition experience with us... It is very informative and touching! She is a beautiful natural who is in the process of transitioning to natural hair. Unlike the normal story, she is enjoying and loving her transition! Keep reading... 



My journey: I had been thinking about going natural but due to me not trimming or cutting my hair I didn't think it was possible.  I received a phone call from a friend who read your blog and you didn't trim or cut your hair, so I knew it was God's confirmation for me to go natural.  My hair was braking bad and I knew I had to do something different.  


I am in my 5th month of transition and it has been very easy for me because I usually am good with styling my own hair.  I find the perm rods work best for me, because I can do many different styles with my curls.  


I wash my hair bi-weekly, something I could never do when I was perming my hair because my scalp would be so dry.  I use Carols Daughter products (shampoo, conditioner and leave-in conditioner/detangler) and love it, its kind of expensive but it works so good for me.  I also use, African shea butter, Jojoba Oil and Hot Oil Treatment, Apple Cider Vinegar and regular Olive Oil and Olive Oil Deep Conditioning Treatment.  I use all these products every time I was my hair.   

I flat ironed my hair for the first time and used Grape Seed Oil.  If I had to give any advice I would say take time with your hair and make sure it doesn't get dry.  I massage my scalp daily with Shea Butter and when my scalp gets dry or feels dry I use my Jojoba Oil.  I see the difference in my scalp since I have been transitioning and it is so much better. 

 Don't give up and make sure you treat your hair like you love your hair.  I pray on my hair and ask God to touch it since I have accepted the hair that He has given me.  I also ask God to give me the strength to manage it well.  I just can't wait to have all natural hair.  

My hair goal is to have and accept the hair that God has given me and not complain about it.  My transition is not a surprise to me, I knew what type of hair I had and I embraced it just as that.  My sister clowns me because of my hair pattern.  Her hair pattern is wavy and mine is not, but I laugh with her and tell her if she don't like it don't look at it, because I am not doing this for her I am doing this for me.  And we laugh together about it.  If I would take it to heart the comments she makes I would have probably been permed my hair.  So I just laugh and agree with her to let her see that I have a made up mind.  When you do something with a made up mind there is nothing nobody can say or do that will discourage you, so I encourage myself.  I always tell myself that this is the hair God gave me and I accept that and will not alter that.  My permed hair is finally popping off and my hair is thinning so that is why I feel the curls are another good idea. 

 I am still excited about my transition and will continue to learn more and do more with my hair.  When I flat ironed my hair it was like I didn't like it because it was so flat to my head, I missed my BIG hair.  I pray that each and every person will not let anyone discourage you from going natural, just take care of your hair like you take care of your body and don't let the words of others dictate what you do for yourself.  Be blessed and accept the hair GOD has given you.    


No comments :

Post a Comment