For Mommies: Lessons from Lakeisha

Hello Mommies! I asked my big sis Lakeisha to share her tips with all of you. She has two beautiful little girls who rock adorable natural hair! I am so pleased to feature them :)

So let's get to it..

1. How old are your daughters right now?
JaeLynn is 4 and Jordyn is 1
2. What products do you use on their hair? Is there a specific product line you favor?

Each child is different and each of my daughters' hair textures are too. For JaeLynn, I use Taliah Waajid shampoo and leave-in conditioner, along with Shea Butter for daily moisturizing.
For Jordyn, I use Curls Blissful Lengths Kukinut Oil Elixer as a daily scalp moisturizer, and Curls Lavish Curls moisturizer to keep her natural curls soft and fluffy.
3. I know most of the time wash day means tears. So tell us how often you shampoo and condition their hair? How do you make the experience pleasant for them?

I shampoo and condition JaeLynn's hair twice a month. For JaeLynn, she is okay with me using the sink, as long as she has a washcloth to cover her face. Once we are ready to moisturize, detangle and style, I give her a book or a coloring book to keep her occupied.
I shampoo and condition my Jordyn's hair once per week. She loves bath time and isn't afraid of running water. We use a plastic "jug" that is sold in the baby section of Target to rinse her hair without getting water in her face. We have yet to find a distraction that will keep her happy the few times I style her hair. Most of the time I use my fingers as a comb and throw on a headband or bow.
4. What are some of your favorite hairstyles for your girls?

My favorite hairstyle for girls is the two-strand twist. No rubber bands, no straighteners, no barrettes. However it is very time-consuming to do. I also like an all natural fro or "Afro puffs," and plain old little girl ponytails. Cornrows are fun too, but the hair needs a break in between styles to protect the edges.
5. How do you instill in your girls that they are beautiful?

My husband and I tell our girls just how beautiful they are, and more importantly we tell them why- because they were made in the image of God! As JaeLynn gets older, we find ourselves reminding her that a certain hairstyle or outfit does not make her beautiful....she just IS.
6. Any hair advice for all of the mommies reading?

It's all trial and error, some things work, and some don't. Don't stress over the length. Do detangle and do moisturize. Don't use a pressing comb every other day or harsh chemicals/synthetic hair. Choose styles that are manageable, can last more than a day, and don't put too much strain on the scalp. Keep your beautiful princesses looking their age (i.e. hair styles for a 5-yr old and a 15-yr old were never meant to look the same). Do your best and let God take care of the rest! :)
I love my babies! So glad to have them today! Leave any questions you may have or comments in the comment form below.

<3 Kendra

No comments :

Post a Comment