On the Couch with Naturals: Jen Lord Regarding Protective Styling


Hello ladies! Today I am featuring a lady whom I admire greatly. Not just for who she is as a person, and a Christian but also for her natural journey. Its commendable and awesome how she has transitioned into loving her hair. She is an advocate of protective styling! So today she is going to talk to us about protective styling and what she has done!  

1. How often do you wash your hair? Describe your process of washing, detangling, conditioning, etc. 

Well, I don’t use traditional shampoos. They contain harsh ingredients that rob our hair of moisture and when I considered that hair with any type of curl pattern tends to be the driest hair, I figured that I ought to stay away from them!  I’ve been doing what they call the “no-poo” method which is using conditioners to co-wash {conditioner wash} my hair. I do this twice a week.

For a stronger cleansing, I use Terressentials Hair Wash which is made of bentonite clay, aloe vera juice and essential oils. Very “granola”, I know but this stuff is awesome! If you want to see what your hair texture really is like without all of the synthetic ingredients loaded in 99.9% of all hair products, detox your hair with a clay wash. When my bottle runs out, I plan to make my own! But anyway, I use this maybe once or twice a month.

My process: First, I section my hair into four or more sections to prevent tangling. Then, I saturate my hair with water. Water is the most effective moisturizer! So yeah, I tend to sit around under the shower for a while, running my fingers through my hair to remove any stray hairs. If I’m using the Terressentials, I put about a tablespoon of it in a jar, dilute it a little and apply it to each section, then rinse it out after about 20 minutes. If I am co-washing, I put that in and sometimes deep condition with a shower cap for about 30 minutes or just leave it in for about 10 minutes or so.  I always do a quick cold rinse at the very end because this closes your hair cuticles.


2. What products do you use on your hair? 

Never would’ve thought that I would become one of those people who only wanted to use only all-natural, organic products for my hair but here I am!!  Right now, the love of my life is Yes To Carrots Pampering Conditioner. The consistency is more watery than I am used to but this stuff is amazing, hands down. For a deep condition, I use Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Hair Masque {what a mouthful!}. And again, my stronger hair cleanser is Terressentials Hair Wash.

Other stuff: coconut oil, Shea Moisture Organic Curl Enhancing Smoothie, aloe vera juice + distilled water, Jane Carter Wrap & Roll Mousse and Eco Styler Olive Oil Styling Gel.

3. Have you found that sticking with a certain routine has been helpful for growth and retention of growth?

Definitely! In order to obtain the best results in any aspect of life, you need to have a game plan. Finding a routine that works for YOU is absolutely essential. What works for me may or may not work for you. That’s the beauty of it all! Sure, everyone’s hair has the same basic needs but we have to put forth the effort in order to find the best thing for US!




4. I know you are a huge advocate of protective styling. Tell us why. 

Yes, I am! One vlogger describes protective styling as “preserving” her hair and I like the connotation of that. Back in the days of relaxers, my hair was growing. I would see evidence of that in the form of new growth on my scalp. But I never could understand why my hair stayed the same sorry length! I wasn’t properly preserving my hair so even though my hair was growing at the root, the ends were breaking thus my length didn’t change much.

Now with protective styling, I minimize the damage done to my hair which results in my length being preserved.

Look at the difference in growth!! You can see how her hair has retained length and thickness

5. Do you think that your hair would have made as much progress as it has if you would inconsistent with a routine? 

Nope. Consistency is key!

6. Are there any tips you can give the readers about things that work well for your hair? 
I said this earlier but I think it’s worth repeating: if you really care about your hair and/or have some specific goals in mind, be diligent about finding what works for you. I hear people complaining about their hair but not doing anything different about it!



"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results."


Find methods and products that work you. Then, stick with it and see the results!

No comments :

Post a Comment