Hair Tip #41: Homemade Greek Yogurt Deep Conditioning Treatment

You hair needs protein because our hair is composed mainly of protein. Protein treatments help to strengthen weakened hair strands, combat breakage, dryness and issues stemming from porosity. Read about which types of proteins you should look for here.

I have been using this as a deep conditioning treatment for the past two months and I am ready so show you the results!

Ingredients:

  • 4-5 tablespoons of Greek Yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons of honey
  • 1 teaspoon of coconut oil in liquid form 
(I don't "measure" this is just an estimation)

Directions:

Apply to freshly washed hair from end to root. Put on a plastic cap and let sit for 15 minutes to an hour. I didn't need to detangle my hair before applying it. It works so well that detangling after is a breeze! Rinse after you have let it sit. 

Results...
My hair feels so healthy after using this treatment. I can't believe that after several years of searching for "the perfect" deep conditioner, I have found it!.. Two ingredients from the grocery store! 

 Why Greek yogurt?

It is packed with tons of protein and calcium. Plus the thick consistency makes for a perfect hair mask.

Why honey?

Honey contains natural sweeteners that help to nourish and moisturize your hair. Because honey retains moisture, it keeps your hair hydrated. In addition it has beneficial vitamins and minerals. Honey also helps fight hair loss, scalp itching and promotes hair growth.

Is the mixture watery, or creamy?

The mixture is very thick and creamy but once it goes on your hair it can start to drip because your hair is still wet from being washed. I apply my shower cap and put a towel turban style over my head to keep water from dripping down my back!

Is the mixture messy?

It can be because as I stated before, with wet hair, it will begin to drip. So once I finish washing my hair, I apply the conditioner to 4 large sections, twist them and throw on a shower cap while still in the shower. This helps me  to reduce the mess!


The negatives...

If you are sensitive to smell, add some essential oils to help mask the scent. It smells like sour milk to me. But it rinses out fine so it doesn't bother me.



The positives...

Extremely soft, defined and shiny hair. I just kept playing in the curls.. it feels so good once its rinsed out. It also feels cool and soothing on my scalp because I use it straight from the fridge ice cold! I think that this is a keeper for sure! Its inexpensive and works wonders on my hair. 


More info about this deep conditioner...

 I got the idea from Naptural85. I modified the recipe but this is where the idea started. Watch the video to see how she uses this deep conditioner




What do you think about these results? Would you try this treatment on your hair?

No comments :

Post a Comment